Today we started in Newtonmore, the first site being upstream of where the Calder joins the Spey. We had a problem here, in that the site had changed so much, that it wasn’t really suitable to be fished. There was some ideal run and riffle habitat 30m upstream, so we decided to relocate the site slightly. At the new site we had 58 fry and 14 parr. We can’t really compare the two sites as they are different, but last year in similar habitat in a similar area, we had 33 fry and 4 parr. The fry here were very small, raging from 32mm to 53mm.
The next site was also in Newtonmore, but downstream, not far from the golf course. The fry numbers here had increased which was great, from 22 to 55 this year, but unfortunately we did’t catch any parr whereas last year we had 12.
Further down at Ruthven, we slightly increased the fry, from 43 to 53, but again no parr where last year we had 4.
Our final site was behind Dalraddy caravan park, this was an excellant site last year, with 193 fry. This year it was still excellent, but down slightly at 143 fry. We have almost completed the mainstem, just a few sites missed out along the way to complete next week hopefully.